Citi Premier bank card evaluate — The Factors Man
Editor’s be aware: This publish has been up to date with new data and presents. Citi is a TPG promoting accomplice.
Citi Premier® Card overview
The Citi Premier® Card is an under-the-radar gem with an exceptional vary of bonus classes. Whereas the cardboard isn’t as robust on the redemption facet as comparable choices from Chase or Amex, the power to earn 3 factors per greenback on air journey, accommodations, fuel stations, supermarkets and eating places (together with takeout) for simply $95 a yr remains to be a fairly nice deal. Card score*: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
* Card score is predicated on the opinion of TPG’s editors and isn’t influenced by the cardboard issuer.
This card is among the greatest earners on on a regular basis spending. It accrues 3 factors per greenback on air journey, accommodations, fuel stations, eating places and supermarkets. Not dangerous for a card with a $95 annual price.
Not solely that, however the factors you earn with the Citi Premier are among the many most versatile rewards currencies and are price 1.8 cents every by TPG valuations. That’s as a result of Citi has improved the ThankYou Rewards program considerably over time to compete with American Express Membership Rewards and Chase Ultimate Rewards.
Right here’s what else it’s best to learn about this card — and why you would possibly need to apply now.
Associated: The best Citi credit cards
Citi Premier welcome supply
The Citi Premier is at the moment providing 60,000 bonus factors after you spend $4,000 on purchases throughout the first three months of account opening. Citi makes use of a moderately attention-grabbing rule to find out bonus eligibility, although.
You received’t be capable to earn the bonus on the Citi Premier if you happen to’ve opened or closed the Citi Rewards+® Card, Citi ThankYou® Most well-liked*, Citi Premier or Citi Prestige® Card*within the final 24 months. Most issuers rely that point solely primarily based on once you opened a card or obtained a bonus, however with Citi, your clock additionally resets if you happen to shut a card, so it’s all within the timing.
*The Citi ThankYou Most well-liked and Citi Status are not out there for brand spanking new candidates. The knowledge for the Citi Status has been collected independently by The Factors Man. The cardboard particulars on this web page haven’t been reviewed or offered by the cardboard issuer.
Join our each day publication
There’s a $95 annual price on the Citi Premier.
Associated: The ultimate guide to credit card application restrictions
Incomes factors with the Citi Premier
The Citi Premier’s incomes construction is one facet the place the cardboard shines. Cardholders earn 3 factors per greenback on purchases within the following classes, with no caps or annual limits:
The cardboard additionally earns 1 level per greenback on all different purchases.
These incomes charges are among the many most spectacular of any journey rewards card, particularly contemplating the Citi Premier’s reasonably priced annual price.
Nonetheless, to coincide with the launch of Citi Travel with Booking.com, Premier cardholders can earn 10 factors per greenback on bookings for accommodations, rental vehicles and eligible points of interest when reserving by means of the portal by means of June 30, 2024.
Associated: The 8 best credit cards with annual fees under $100
Citi Premier advantages
The Citi Premier can also be a best choice for vacationers, due to its participation within the ThankYou Rewards program, which at the moment has 14 airline transfer partners and two resort companions.
When you’ll discover that most of the frequent-flyer applications are these of worldwide airways, there are nonetheless some high-value (and simply redeemable) awards to be booked by means of them.
For example, you may leverage Air France-KLM Flying Blue miles for first rate business-class award availability on these airways and their SkyTeam companions, get some phenomenal offers on Star Alliance awards utilizing Avianca LifeMiles and offset paid fares with JetBlue TrueBlue.
You can even redeem your ThankYou Factors for journey instantly by means of the Citi portal at a charge of 1 cent every, however that’s effectively under TPG’s valuation of ThankYou points at 1.8 cents every, a quantity derived partially from Citi’s in depth checklist of switch companions.
Associated: The ultimate guide to Citi ThankYou Rewards
CITI PREMIER BENEFITS
A lot of the Citi Premier’s worth proposition comes from its potential to earn bonus factors in a slew of classes with out charging a hefty annual price. As such, you shouldn’t anticipate an amazing variety of perks, however there are a number of advantages of this card that may allow you to recoup your annual price:
- $100 annual hotel credit: You’ll get pleasure from a $100 credit score as soon as per calendar yr for single-stay resort bookings of $500 or extra (excluding taxes and charges) made by means of the Citi journey portal.
- Extended warranty protection: Provides 24 months to a producer’s guarantee.
- Damage and theft protection: Repairs or replaces an merchandise broken or stolen inside 90 days of buy (as much as $10,000 per incident and $50,000 per yr).
- World Elite Mastercard benefits: As a World Elite Mastercard, the Citi Premier confers a number of travel-related perks that buyers may not learn about. These embody a $5 month-to-month Lyft credit score after taking three rides in a calendar month and entry to the Mastercard luxurious accommodations and resorts portfolio for on-property perks like complimentary breakfast and room upgrades upon availability. By way of the World Elite Mastercard program, you’ll additionally get pleasure from perks like cellphone protection and World Emergency Companies.
- Citi® Entertainment: This program provides cardholders particular entry to buy tickets to 1000’s of occasions — from live shows and sporting occasions to distinctive eating experiences and film screenings — earlier than most of the people should buy them.
- No foreign transaction fees: Like several good journey card, the Citi Premier lets you journey freely with out incurring a price on worldwide spending.
Which playing cards compete with the Citi Premier?
As an reasonably priced journey rewards card, the Citi Premier has a number of direct opponents that could be a greater match for you:
- Should you desire Chase playing cards: The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, with an annual price of $95, competes instantly with the Citi Premier. Whereas Chase’s transfer partners (together with United MileagePlus and Southwest Rapid Rewards) could be extra helpful for a lot of vacationers, there are some overlaps, together with Singapore KrisFlyer, Emirates Skywards and Virgin Atlantic Flying Membership. For extra data, learn our full review of the Sapphire Preferred.
- In order for you a flat earnings charge: Strive the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card. It, too, expenses a $95 annual price, however this card comes with a much less profitable (however a lot easier) incomes charge of two miles per greenback on all purchases. As an alternative of an annual resort credit score, you’ll stand up to a $100 Global Entry or TSA PreCheck utility credit score as soon as each 4 years with the Enterprise. You’ll even get two annual lounge visits per yr to Capital One’s nascent network of airport lounges — or use these passes at over 100 Plaza Premium lounge locations. For extra data, learn our full review of the Venture Rewards.
- In order for you a great deal of perks: One of many Citi Premier’s closest opponents over at American Specific is the American Express® Gold Card, which earns 4 factors per greenback at eating places, 4 factors per greenback at U.S. supermarkets on the primary $25,000 in purchases per calendar yr (then 1 per greenback), 3 factors per greenback on flights booked instantly with airways or by means of Amex Travel and 1 level per greenback on different eligible purchases. The Amex Gold Card additionally comes with as much as $10 in monthly dining credits at choose eating places (as much as $120 in annual assertion credit) and as much as $10 in monthly U.S. Uber Cash (as much as $120 yearly), offsetting nearly all of the $250 annual fee (see rates and fees). Enrollment is required for choose advantages. For extra data, learn our full review of the Citi Premier.
For extra choices, try our full list of travel rewards cards.
Learn extra: Chase Sapphire Preferred vs. Citi Premier: Which mid-tier travel card is better?
Regardless of a bevy of opponents, the Citi Premier’s lengthy checklist of bonus classes and stable sign-up bonus make it probably the most profitable points-earning playing cards in its value vary. The stable of ThankYou Rewards switch companions makes this card compelling, particularly for vacationers who want the pliability to redeem factors with varied loyalty applications. It is price a glance if you happen to’re keen on Citi.
Official utility hyperlink: Citi Premier Card with 60,000 bonus ThankYou factors after $4,000 in spending within the first three months of account opening.
Further reporting by Ryan Wilcox, Stella Shon, Eric Rosen and Christina Ly.
For charges and charges of the Amex Gold Card, click on here.
Visit for full Article
As much as Date