- US condemns Karachi university blast.
- State Dept says US will continue to work with Pakistan in areas of mutual interests.
- Ned Price says Washington “values” its bilateral relationship with Islamabad.
WASHINGTON: The United States condemned the terrorist attack at the University of Karachi that killed four people, including three Chinese nationals.
At least four people were killed while four others sustained injuries in a suicide explosion at the premises of the University of Karachi on April 26 outside Confucius Institute.
Addressing a press briefing Wednesday, US State Department Spokesperson Ned Price deplored the terrorist attack in Karachi terming it “a true affront to mankind.”
“A terrorist attack anywhere is an affront to humanity everywhere, but for a terrorist attack to take place at a university, or at a religious site, or at some of the locations we’ve seen recently – that is a true affront to mankind,” he stated when asked to comment on the suicide attack targeting Chinese citizens.
Ned Price said the US gives great importance to its relations with Pakistan. “When it comes to your question, what I’ll say is that we value our bilateral relationship. We want to continue to work together in areas where we do have mutual interests with our Pakistani partners. That includes counterterrorism. That includes border security as well,” the US State Department spokesperson added.
The suicide attack
According to the Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD), it was a suicide blast and was carried out by a burqa-clad woman.
The explosion occurred at 1:52pm in a van near the Confucius Institute — a Chinese language teaching centre at Karachi University. Following the blast, rescue and security agencies rushed to the location and cordoned off the areas, initiating rescue operations.
The deceased Chinese nationals have been identified as the director of the Confucius Institute Huang Guiping, Ding Mupeng, Chen Sai, and their Pakistani driver, Khalid.
Police sources said the van entered the premises through the Maskan gate of the university, they said.
Of the four people who sustained injuries, two have been identified as Chinese national Wang Yuqing and a security guard named Hamid. All of them are currently hospitalised and are receiving treatment.
A banned outfit had claimed the responsibility of the attack. The security agencies have launched an operation to apprehend those involved in the blast but so far no major success has been achieved. The husband of the female attacker is still at large.